Sunday, October 12, 2008

Funny story about some students

This past week I gave my students an assignment where they had to act out a small skit interpreting a specific idiom. They did a wonderful job. Some were really creative and of course, you always have those students who could have done better with more preparation. :) As a reward for best gift, I gave students a certificate for their achievement and some traditional Latvian candy. It is called Laima. Well, two girls came up to me after class to ask if I have ever tried Bienspiens (sp?). I told them that I didn't think I had so they tried to explain to me what it was. Thick milk was one way it was described and then bad milk, when it clumps, was another way they describe it. It didn't sound that appetizing but I guessed they were talking about curds. They have never heard the word before so they ignored what I had said and just proceeded to tell me that they were going to bring me some. Well, the next day they did. They found me in between their classes, which is 10 min, and pulled my aside to show me this very Latvian food. It was cheese curds. They mixed it with sour cream and watched me as I put it in my mouth for some kind of funny reaction. It tasted just like our cottage cheese back home. They seemed surprised that I enjoyed their little snack and later on told me that they also bought me traditional Latvian bread and cookies. They were being so sweet that I told them that any time that they wanted to hang out I would so that they could practice their English. They had smiles on their faces and agreed then left for class. That next period they found me and invited me to go orienteering with them after school. This activity involves running with a compass in the forest and finding your way to certain posts and finally the ending. Unfortunately I was unable to go, but maybe next time. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi, Rose!
Bienspiens (sp?). Actually it's with "zp" and without "n". So "biezpiens". ;)
Tom, 12b