Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Winter Holiday

LONDON Dec. 26-Jan. 5

Meeting Justin in the airport was wonderful, even though his luggage was misplaced (lost) for more than 24 hours. We had to shop that first day for the essentials. How many of you can relate? Not me. :) My luggage is always where it needs to be... knock on wood.

So the first few days were just hanging out in London. We did some sightseeing and had a great time. Surprisingly, it was cold. BRRRR! I thought I would be used to walking in the cold, but I guess there are things that you'll never get used to. :) Riding the metro (underground) was really nice. I really think we should get a subway system put in Wichita. Just think of all the money we will save on gas. I know, I know, it has gone down, but it might shoot up again.

Every morning we went on the train to Victoria station. There we bought something warm to drink and a breakfast sandwich that was split in half. We ate at the same place that the lady behind the counter knew who we were and had an idea of what we were going to order. :)
After breakfast (maybe closer to lunch) we headed to the National Archives. We did some research. Pretty interesting. My man is doing a lot of work. And there is still so much more to do. We did that for a few days.

We ate some great dinners. Some really good dinners. I'm glad we did a lot of walkin because I felt like we did a lot of eatin. :) If you ever see a Zizzi Restaurant. It is a must!

We also did a couple of activities. We went to see Phantom of the Opera. It was okay. I didn't think it was as good as Wicked. :( Partly because I miss a quarter of the show because we had bad seats. We also went to a soccer game. It was a lot of fun. We were six rows up from the field and you can see the players up close. Too bad I can't get KU tickets like that. I had a hotdog. They taste the same there. The game ended 0-0 so it wasn't that exciting, but it was a lot of fun.

We did more sightseeing for the last couple of days. On New Year's Eve Justin proposed. We ate at an Italian place. Very romantic. We shared olives, and he even ventured out and shared mushroom ravioli. He must really love me. :) We later took a walk onto a bridge over the Thames River and that is where he popped the question. I of course said yes! It was wonderful and really cold, but it was great. The most wonderful feeling in the world.
Later that evening we went to a pub called Queen Adelaide in Putney where we met an acquaintance of Justin's. We had a great time. It ended up being that Justin's friend Mel was dating a Latvian girl. Weird huh? So we chatted for a while. We met some Aussies and Africans. It was a lot of fun. The best part was celebrating it with my fiance. Kinda funny to say. :) I do have to say that I miss my traditional New Years party with Andy and Ryan but maybe next year.

So that pretty much sums up the holiday. We tried to save some tourists stuff for next time. :)

2 comments:

Angie said...

What a fun winter holiday! Reading about the proposal on your blog was so much better! Love you~

Doris said...

This is great. Wish I would have known about it sooner. Congrats on your engagement. Love the pics of Latvia. Doris~